Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Peter Post-Open Dream


This first installment from the cast on what their plans are post-season comes from Winston-Salem-based flutist, Peter Shanahan.

Now that the Open Dream season is coming to a close, it is time to look forward to new projects and having time to develop and follow through with older ones. Since I'm staying in Winston-Salem and don't have any moves in the near future, going to rent a moving van and hauling boxes around is NOT, thank goodness, part of the plan. First of all, I really need to get my website (petershanahan.com) up and running. The web designer has almost completed the work, and I hope to have it ready by the end of January.

I have some concerts with the Winston-Salem Symphony and the Western Piedmont Symphony coming up, and I may actually have the chance to go back to the Southwest Florida Symphony for some concerts during the springtime. I'll be gearing up for another Open Dream Ensemble audition at some point too.

I teach about 12 flute students, and I'm looking forward to having more time to devote to them. I also volunteer to coach a flute choir for amateur flutists, and perform with Flutes on Fourth-- a semi-professional flute ensemble.

Also, I need to spend some quality time in my practice studio, working my flute "chops" to get them better than ever. While I always sound like a professional musician during the Open Dream season, my skills are really honed in by hours of practice for me to take on the most challenging pieces of the flute repertoire. I'd like to play a recital in early March.

Goodbye and good luck to all Open Dreamers, audiences, teachers, and students!

Peter Shanahan

No comments:

Post a Comment