Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Transforming Teaching

This post is from Ali Bill, pictured here in her role as Emily in Open Dream Ensemble's production of Big Shoes!
Hello, all! Ali Bill here, for my very first Open Dream Blog! This process has moved fast, has been incredibly challenging, and exhausting to say the least. But ultimately, it is one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had the opportunity to be a part of. We rehearsed for the first three weeks of the program and this week we started our residencies at a local school in Winston-Salem! I had no idea what to expect. Honestly, a lot of elementary school memories came flooding back towards me and I was scared, nervous, and felt all around like an 8 year old again! Was I up to date on style and music? Probably not, but I jumped in anyway! Every day has been different, but every single day, I feel more and more proud to be able to teach these children that arts and science can coincide. And I've talked to teachers who have told me that certain children who have been less participatory have completely transformed and perked up when we do our musical warm ups, skits, and pantomimes with the children. So far, I feel like this is exactly where I should be. I have a history of teachers in my family and I feel it so feeds a part of me that I didn't really know existed. Obviously, I can only hope that this positivity stays with me and us as a group as we go on to travel the beautiful state of North Carolina! Thanks for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment