Friday, September 27, 2013

Energizing Science

This post is from Chesley Polk! He is pictured here at the Robber of Soles in Open Dream Ensemble's production of Big Shoes. Having just finished our second residency I can say this experience has been more than I had thought or hoped for. Not only am I getting to perform a show, which I love, but then I'm getting to be with kids and discuss the artistic process and see them become more and more interested in at least one of the art forms as the week progresses. Today we had a student, in a discussion of what we've learned this week, say "I learned we can do science in a way that is fun and energizing." That made the week worth it right there. To have children respond to a lesson plan in a positive way, to build what we call and 'informance' (informal/informative performance, and then perform for their peers is such a great feeling. To see there faces light up and see them step out of their shells and become a Nile Crocodile, or even a bacteria is so fulfilling. This process is reminding me of when I first caught the acting bug in third grade. You can see certain students who have already caught it or catch it right in front of your eyes. It's truly an amazing thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment