Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What is the Open Dream Ensemble?


This post is from Guy Kelpin, a first-year Open Dreamer, trombonist and composer. Indeed, Guy is a graduate of UNCSA Schools of Music AND Filmmaking. Guy is pictured here dancing in the intro of our web series, The Adventures of the Open Dream Ensemble.

Having noticed a change in my regularly scheduled programming, I've been asked by many of my colleagues and acquaintances, "What have you been up to this
fall, Guy?" To which I reply, "I've been a cast member with the Open Dream Ensemble." I've been quite pleasantly surprised by how few times I've actually needed to offer much of an explanation. Many of my friends and fellow musicians seem to be quite familiar with the program, or at least have some preconceived notion of what we do. Many of the people I come in contact with are members of the UNCSA community, and some of them even know former ODE cast members. So, it has been exciting to be part of something that is so well recognized and respected by our local artists and arts-supporters.

Of course, I've also gotten the response of, "Open What Enwhomble? What's that?" (Wow, it's hard not to start singing the web series theme song!) I start to explain, "We are a group of multi-disciplinary UNCSA graduates who tour the state, putting on performances and working with elementary students to integrate the science curriculum through the arts. (*Gasp for breath*) It's been busy, but It's a lot of fun, and it seems to be a really effective way to impact the education system." Overwhelmingly, the response is always, "Wow. That sounds like an awesome idea. I'll bet there are some characters in that cast!" Then, I admit, "Yes, but fortunately, most of our drama stays on the stage." That statement couldn't be more true. Though we do have our moments, all things considered, this cast impresses me with its ability to not only cooperate, but thrive as a group. I feel honored to be included.

Then, I get asked, "Does the ensemble have a road crew?"

..."Yes, there are nine of us."

No comments:

Post a Comment