Sunday, September 16, 2012

Gushing, Tweaking, and Mandolin-ing


This post is from our mandolin-strumming Marine Madesclaire. She wrote this on Friday at the conclusion of a three-day residency at Benton Heights Elementary School of the Arts.

It's now the final day of our first residency here at Benton Heights Elementary School of the Arts, and I'm gonna miss these kids. Our third graders have the most amazing teacher who participates in every exercise and even jumped up to google images on his smart board while we were talking about caves, canyons and island. Amazing! Even better the 4th and 5th graders are so far ahead of us that they taught me the curriculum! I have to stop gushing... It's embarrassing. :)

Getting the show on the road and claiming it as our own has been an interesting experience. I actually got very sick our first day there, powering through the first day of classes thanks to the children's enthusiasm. My teaching partner Miss Marissa and I got into a wonderful rhythm by the second day tweaking our class curriculum to fit the classes. We even figured out a jig to play the kiddos with the mandolin and the penny whistle.

With these three days done and over I'm excited to see what come up on our next residency.

No comments:

Post a Comment