Friday, September 21, 2012

Fantastic Learning Experience

This post is from the terrific trombone-toting Cameron MacManus. He is pictured here leading a class at Benton Heights Elementary School of the Arts in exploring what a gaseous volcano would smell like.
It’s funny walking the halls at Diggs-Latham Elementary when almost a week after the latest showing of “Big Shoes” the students are still calling out to me “Hey Gordy!”. In the classroom, I’m “Mr. Cameron”. It’s easy for me to get wrapped up my new role as a teaching artist and forget about Gordy’s world. Another pair of shoes to wear, and this time I’m not supposed to trip! Whether I’m being Gordy or Mr. Cameron it is a privilege to get to work with so many young people. Every day is a new learning experience for me as I slowly venture out from under the wing of my talented teaching partner Haydee Thompson. Am I smarter than a fifth grader? Some days more so than others it seems, but every day has been a fantastic learning experience. Little did I know what magic we control as artists and teachers, where our spells could take students, or what a wonderful feeling it is to know that you’ve made a positive impact on a child’s day that can last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment