Thursday, October 29, 2009

Hippy's Update


While the Open Dream Ensemble cast is getting some well-deserved time off during these next few days, an update from actress Lauren Culpepper came in. Lauren underwent hip surgery on Tuesday. Here, in her own words, is how things are going...



Hello guys!
I hope you all are enjoying your much needed break this week...although I know that most of you are working extremely hard on your own projects. anyway, at the lovely Peter Shanahan's request, I am sending out a little "update" as to how I'm doing.
Surgery went well overall. The surgeon did everything he had hoped to do which including "trimming" down bone, removing cysts, inflamation, infection, repairing tears on the top and bottom of the labrum, etc. whew! Sounds like a lot but he acted like it was a normal routine to have all of that going on in this type of injury. I stayed in the hospital for a day and had a sweet 4 hour visit from Steve Davis : )...who doesn't love him?! He brought me a pickle lapel pin.
I was discharged yesterday with about 9 different prescriptions and sooo much instructions as to what I can/cant' do. Apparently this surgery is more meticulous than an entire hip replacement because I have to move in a very specific way as to not use my hip flexors. I can only put "20 lbs" on my left leg when I walk with crutches...(how I am supposed to measure 20 lbs I have NO idea..) The hardest part, I think is whats ahead with rehab. So far, I can't do anything by myself...I can't bathe, dress, get in the car, blah blah blah by myself. Mom has to wait on me hand and foot, literally, to make sure that I don't use certain muscles in my leg. I also have to wear white compression tights that go all the way up to my thighs every second of the day for a month....so sexy. The dog, Jesse, thinks all my new contraptions are the coolest thing but I'm able to succesfully protect myself from him by threatening to whack him with my spider crutches and hip brace. : ) I've been on lots of pain meds which I have recently refused to take as often because they make me feel like a zombie.
I am supposed to be on crutches for the next four weeks, but they're also telling me that this healing process is a speedy one...as in, hopefully I will be able to use the bicycle by next week!
Anyway, Thank you all so very much for your thoughts and well wishes...I can't tell you how MUCH it means to me. This is a huge challenge for me--all I love to do is take care of other people, and now I have to be completely dependent on someone else. But I will progress!!! And soon enough I'll be back with you guys.
Love you all...Haydee, Dia, Peter, Joshua, Brian, KJ, James, Rose, and Rebecca who are all working SO HARD to keep ODE alive without me...you rock my compression tights OFF!!

How did Lenior go??? Please don't forget about me here in SC and update me on everything whenever you can!!!
lots and lots and lots and lots of love,

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment