Thursday, October 15, 2009

Aulander, post 2







This post is from actress Lauren Culpepper. Lauren is pictured in the role of Diana in Peril on the Red Planet.


This week are in residency at Aulander Elementary School. I think this is one of the smallest towns I've ever been in. I was initially taken aback by the environment and level of poverty that I know these children live in, but I was amazed at how well behaved the kids were. It was clear doing Peril that the kids had not had a lot of exposure to live performances. And we heard through one of the teachers that the kids had been asking what "drama" was and how they could do drama. We asked them in class what the difference was between a play and a TV show or movie and quickly realized that we had to explain the difference to them. It was so beautiful to see how quickly they opened up and adapted to the things we were sharing with and teaching them throughout the week. I really felt like I grew very close to these kids and I wish we could stay longer at this school more than any other school we've been at so far because I think it's schools like these that Open Dream Ensemble needs to be doing residencies at. The kids are actually pretty comfortable moving because they have an amazing and passionate dance teacher! Mrs. Fipps has been incredibly helpful and kind to us throughout the week. Not only was she welcoming and supportive of the work we were doing with the students, but she ALWAYS participated, while also keeping a watchful eye on the kids and giving specific attention where it was needed. I think that the work we are doing with the students will really help the work that she's doing with them on a daily basis...over just this past week, we've seen them become much more comfortable with their own individuality and creativity and truly understanding what teamwork is.
I'm so glad to have had this week to spend with Aulander Elementary. I really believe in the kids and this school and the work that Mrs. Fipps is doing with them and I hope that ODE can return next year and for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment