Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Show is On... Like a Bostic


This post is from the magnificent Marissa Byers, Open Dream's clarinetist/ fire dancer / actress / and now tap dancer. She is pictured here as Sheepish (in pink) along with her Ish sisters Deepish (in purple) and Weepish (in blue).



We are in the middle of week four, and Big Shoes has come to life. With some trimming around the edges, the show is ready to hit the stage on Saturday. I think there must be a little bit of magic at play here. Beth Bostic seems to have that kind of touch as a director- the kind that can't be taught. She managed to create a synchronicity with the ensemble from the start- which enabled us to work efficiently as a team, bounce off of each others' energy in every scene and set change, guiding us through a rehearsal process that kept stress and overdrive at bay. I have learned so much through Open Dream this year, and I'm still processing the extent of it- beginning with a fresh new love for acting, and facing the challenges of integrating clarinet, sound design, acting and dance (we're learning how to tap dance from Julianne- LOVE IT), as well as teamwork and speedy set and costume changes. The growth I see in myself as an artist is invigorating. I think the most significant Bostic gift is the ability to instil healthy confidence in the performer. I always feel that I have the space to find my character (Sheepish) within myself at a pace that suits me naturally. Somehow, this expedites the process. It's about respect. Mad respect. Hats off to the captain. I am in awe of what we all accomplished in the blink of an eye. It's showtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment