Saturday, October 8, 2011

US vs Indonesian Education


This post is from the multi-talented Ulung Tanoto. Ulung hails from Indonesia and came to UNCSA to study film composition, graduating last year form the School of Filmmaking. Here he is teaching a fourth grade class in Conover.


It looks so fun! That was the first thing that came up to my mind when I was asked about my impression about elementary school in United States (US). Is it true? Well, what do you think? Colorful interior, fancy playground, indoor gym, fun library are things you commonly find in every elementary school in US, right? I am honestly jealous with the kids here for having schools that are very facilitating because I didn't grow up experiencing that. Being a very-developed country, it is not surprising that even in a remote areas, every school must meet a certain standard. Let's take a look at the curriculum. I have a feeling that it is less depth than my elementary experience. I could be wrong, but only couple of multiple choice questions after two weeks of training, come on?! That's too easy! I remember did hundreds of questions in a daily basis when I was in elementary school. However, from my point of view, in US curriculum, the understanding of the concept is more emphasized and creativity is triggered rather than giving too much extra. I actually like that. Again, I could be wrong, but that is my honest opinion.

One thing that is really interesting is the existence of A+ schools in US, which is very brilliant. I have never heard of it before I had this "teaching artist training" with Open Dream Ensemble. The way it uses multi-intelligence approach through arts-integrated curriculum can be more effective than the traditional-verbal training, in my opinion, of course if it's implemented correctly. Did I mention OPEN DREAM ENSEMBLE? I really respect how this group has a noble commitment to bring a high standard arts-integrated teaching through their teaching artist residencies program. I am glad to be part of it. Plus, I get to visit schools in US and take the positive values from their education system. I'll talk more about how I feel being a teaching artist in my next blog. To be continue…

No comments:

Post a Comment