Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A lot of learning going around


This post is from the green guard robot, Guy Kelpin. A multi-talented fellow, Guy is a graduate of UNCSA School of Music in trombone performance and School of Filmmaking in film composition.


The first two months of the Open Dream Ensemble season have been a whirlwind! My brain kind of hurts a little. The amount of information we've covered in such a short time astonishes me, and it impresses me to realize that we mounted two productions while simultaneously tackling the elementary school curriculum. It seems each day brings a new revelation to me as both an artist and as a teacher. I feel like I'm just trying to keep up with all the activity, and I hope to be contributing as much as I can. I have to admit it's been pretty overwhelming! Luckily for me, I had already been pretty familiar with the curriculum material; however, the concepts of being a teaching-artist presented the highest learning curve for me. I have a relatively introverted personality, so perhaps my biggest learning experiences have been my own self-discovery. Let's hope my own new understandings will help have a positive impact on our students. Certainly, there is a lot of learning going on around here lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment