Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I'm Peter

This post is from the fantastically versatile Haydee Thompson, pictured here as a pirate in Open Dream Ensemble's The Amazing Adventure of Anna Marie.
I'm PETER!!! In Peter and the Wolf with the W-S Symphony. Started rehearsal today. Pinching myself truly! This will be the largest band I have ever fronted. I was asked today if I have ever before played a "pants role". I have. I've professionally played a pirate and once, when I was 16, the Santa on the Hershey Park Trolley fell sick and I was, somehow, the most qualified around to cover his shift. I also played a bearded woman, but that really doesn't count. This role is less a "pants" challenge then an "age' challenge. Peter is a young boy and I'm playing him @ 7yrs. It is indescribable the magic that happens when you can dismiss the weight and worry of being an adult and, as your profession, get paid for the opportunity to escape into a child's brain and body. I have spent the past six years teaching and studying "a many hundred" kids while coasting upon, as well as directing, their worlds of imagination and wonder. Peter is a dream role and I hope an homage to all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment