Monday, September 20, 2010

Rock - ing

This post is from the lovely and talented Haydee Thompson -- who plays Professor Poople in our new web-series, The Adventures of the Open Dream Ensemble.


So far this has been a whirlwind of a season. The winds really picked up last week as we performed our very first public school performance at Mineral Springs Elementary. I think there were near 400 bright faces there, cheering us along through every scene. I very much look forward to going back to Mineral Springs next week for a 5 day integrated residency.

Speaking of residencies, this year we have been nose down in science books trying to bone up on Birds, Landforms, rocks and minerals, and life cycles. The fun part is creating energizing physical activities that utilize our strengths as artists and personalities.

Everything was going quite well for me until the idea of a "rock dance" came up. In other words, using dance to define the properties of rocks. "Soooooo, you want them to dance like a rock?!", I said. I just couldn't wrap my head around it, I mean how would a rock dance? So then I decided to ask myself the same question but with a different inflection. "How WOULD a rock dance?" I mean, it's not very often we see it happen but rocks are always moving. In one single second there are a thousand/s rocks moving somewhere on earth, right? OPEN THE FLOOD GATES, By George I think she's got it! Rocks Dance!
They crack, they roll and tumble, they erode, melt, spew, rocks can even climb. Truth is, rocks move in endless numbers of ways. Get ready 4th Grade, Its called the "Rock Dance" and its coming to your school. Thank You, I'll be here all week.

1 comment:

  1. Yea Rocks must really 'Rock' and roll when they dance right?

    ReplyDelete