Sunday, September 20, 2009

Teaching Artist, part 4

This post is from the lovely and lively Lauren Culpepper. Lauren wrote this post on Friday as the teaching artist training was coming to a close and the cast of Open Dream Ensemble prepared to move into the second phase of the season -- performing and residencies.

What a huge week we've had! All week we've been doing Teaching Artist training. I had no idea there was so much that is required for the North Carolina Standard Course of Study. Some of the things we learned were pretty tedious, but we knew it was ultimately leading to the goal of creating an awesome ODE "curriculum" to bring to the students. My teaching partner is James and, I think I can say this without the other members getting jealous because they'd probably agree with me, I am totally lucky to be with him! He really knows what he's doing and when we were creating our curriculum, he was able to help out with the logistics of the format, as well as collaborate on games and activities that we can do together.

I am a little apprehensive about teaching next week at Ward Elementary. I'm totally excited, but I really hope that all of the work and planning we've done translates to the classroom and the kids get it. I can't wait to meet these children and work with them. I wish I had this sort of opportunity when I was young. To have someone come in the classroom and give me a new way of thinking about art and goals and learning, and most importantly, to never be afraid of making mistakes. I truly feel that if I had someone implement that single idea to me as a child, I would be a different person today.

Well, we're officially heading towards the new leg of our journey here...just about to go on tour! yay!!! I think the eight of us work really well together and have created a wonderful working environment. We also play together really well, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment